Wednesday, 5 March 2014

Supporting Statement

Sections1:
For my final major project ‘Delicate Situations’ I feel I have successfully recorded and used primary research because I have taken a large range of high quality photographs, from different angles, perspectives, using different props such as makeup and using a variety of different background scenes/locations. My first initial primary photos weren’t as successful and I thought they could’ve been improved so I asked my peers and tutors for some advice on how to make my photographs more successful. Most of my feedback was to take some more primary photographs but incorporate make up to help the model look more realistically abused and also to have a better scene/background in my photographs instead of a plain wall. I responded to this feedback by taking my model to a wooded area with makeup cutes and bruises to create a scene that the person had been perhaps abducted, taken to an abandoned area/forest and then abused. I think that creating this scene and adding the background did help my photographs look a lot more realistic and there for make my primary photographs a lot more successful.
My final major project links to my stage 2 work because I have further experimented and developed some of my work from my 4th project ‘Letters.’ The work that I further experimented and developed was my ‘projection of words’ onto a person. However, I didn’t want to project words onto a person again, instead I experimented by writing, stitching and Photoshop words over the models in my primary photos. The reason that I chose this particular experiment to further develop is because; I thought it would be very interesting and creative way to express abuse in a diverse and mix media way. Instead of physical abuse, I am expressing verbal abuse with the words that have been printed over the person, represent the words that that person might have been called/named in the past or present. I feel these experiments were particular successful because they are a way of showing that not all abuse is physical and not all abuse can be seen on the body and makes the viewer see or realise that we don’t always know what a person is truly going through.

Section 2:
I have researched a variety of different contextual artists and successfully responded to each of them. I feel that I have done this successfully and effectively because I have used some of their elements/techniques in my responses and developments, however I have made some slight adjustments to make it my own; such as, experimenting with colour or using a different technique/material to create the same effect.
I feel that all of my artists that I researched helped and enhanced my project however, an artists that particularly influenced me is KK DePaul is because she expressing her work in different compositions and in interesting ways to help me think in a more diverse way about my project for it then to become even more successful and effective.
            My blog comments have been very useful and helpful because they have informed me what might work best and what might not work as well out of all my experiments. They have also helped me further my samples by giving me advice on how I could improve my work by perhaps adding a different method or not using a certain technique and I have responded to each of these comments and suggestions. For example, one particular suggestion was from a peer in my class, suggesting I add stitch to my Sally Mankus pieces. I responded by doing this and the stitch really helped communicate abuse in a different more interesting way.

Section 3:
            I feel that my media experiments have been successful and inventive because not only have I communicated my theme of abuse in different ways such as physical, verbal, mental, emotional or physiological abuse. But I have also created my intentions that I said in my statement of intent, which were to create a large variety of mix-media experiments/samples, which also communicate abuse in many diverse ways. The samples that I feel were particularly successful are my Scott Hazard pieces because I am also communicating time with the layering of photographs, as well as abuse. And it helps show that abuse is not a ‘one off’ occurrence, it is something that can happen over days, weeks, months or years.

Section4:
             I have successfully recorded composition, because in my development and design ideas I have shown and explained that I would display each of my different potential final pieces in different ways. For example, one of my different ways of showing my work would be to hang my photographs in the air. This would create and show an effect of fragile and delicacy, which link to what someone would be feeling all of them time if they had been or were being abused.
            I feel that my final piece display is successful because I have communicated abuse and created a mix media photography piece, which is what I stated I wanted to create in my statement of intent at the beginning of my project. However, I could’ve improved by thinking a little longer about how I could make my final piece look and work better because some of the ‘fractured’ pieces do not fit together as some are slightly bigger than others and so this make the face in the photograph look too distorted to be seen.
            My final outcomes do communicate my intentions of abuse because the different sections of the photograph suggests fracture or broken and that is what the person is feeling, broken from being abused in either the past or present.

Section 5:
            I have managed this assignment effectively because I have answered each section about my final major project in great depth and detail, analysing what I have found was successful and effective and what didn’t work a well and how I improved those particular pieces. 

No comments:

Post a Comment