Sunday, 23 March 2014

Responding to Sally Mankus

After taking my primary photographs I started my experiments.

     I first started to experiment responding to Sally Mankus. Sally Mankus is a mix-media artist and has the ability to combine  her use of media such as metal and cloth with her photography. She especially likes lifting  rust, carbon and markings from charred surfaces  by  her own special and unique process. She uses this process to help define diverse meanings of everyday things. Her tools include Xeroxed images, photography, sound, smell and touch while she produces photographs, sculptures and installations. 






I have responded to her work by image transfer; transferring my own photographs onto different surfaces, textures and materials:





Impasto transfer onto acetate with burning: 
























Adding stitch to my transfer:


 

            


Experimenting with different colour prints (sepia):



Experimenting with more different surfaces (balsa wood):










These are my experiments I have created responding to Sally Mankus and developing in my own way. 
I feel that all my experiments have been successful because, not only have I created my intentions of expressing abuse, by using my primary photographs, however, I have also physically manipulated my experiments by stitching into, scratching away and burning the transfers which is another 'way' of abusing something so it creates the effect of the physical photograph being abused as well as the person in the photograph.  







1 comment:

  1. I really like the one on the left, I think you should try more with more stitch.

    Olivia x

    ReplyDelete