Wednesday, 19 March 2014

Responding to Scott Hazard


These are my responses to Scott Hazard's 'Photo Constructs':

  
         




 I created these responses by printing off several copies of the same photograph, burning different sized holes in each photograph and then layering them on top of each other. 

I particularly like these experiments because they communicate abuse in a much more detail and diverse way. 
Not only is the person in the photograph expressing abuse, whether its with the bruises on them or the facial expression, but as well,  the burning in the photograph expresses that the abuse might be taking over them and their lives.
Also, the layers of the burning in the faces expresses and communicates 'time'. It expresses that the abuse could have been going on for weeks, months or even years and that emphasises that abuse is such a serious matter that we never know how long it can or has been going on for.       

I feel that the portrait experiments are slightly more effective than the one landscape experiment because the portraits show a lot more emotion, feeling and seem to portray a more personal feeling. You can also sympathise with the portrait photo where as the landscape photograph looks very busy and you can't 'connect' with the person as much as you with the others.  

I also decided to experiment/develop my responses a bit more but simply only burning the edges of my photographs instead of creating many layers. 

These are my outcomes: 












I think that these experiments are successful because they create an effect as if the burning is 'eating them away' or taking over them, and so the burning could represent or symbolise the abuse they are getting. 

However, I feel that my first experiments are more effective because of the layers symbolising time whereas these only symbolise one part of abuse. 


No comments:

Post a Comment